Thursday, November 26, 2009

Culture Shock...the Suburban Way

I often tell people about the culture shock I experienced in my first few years teaching in low income schools. Last night, I got to experience another kind that was equally appalling and perhaps more disturbing.

Visiting my parents over the holidays is always nice. We sit around, talk, and drink coffee. If we go out, I try to suggest a local place or something with healthy options on the menu, but most of the time we just stay in. I am quite alright with this; however, this is not the case with visiting old friends who are in town for the holidays. Since it feels too juvenile to hang out at each others' parents' houses, we go out on the town...and by town, I mean shopping centers with corporate chains and terrible food.

Last night, we went to the Town Center Mall area, now known as Kennesaw. As high schoolers, we would go there all the time until the swankier mall opened near Roswell and we decided we were a bit too cool for putt putt. There were endless options for dinner, but we ended up at what was essentially a Scottish Hooters. The name of the establishment actually sounds like a quaint little pub that might have a decent beer selection...not so fast my friend. When the doors opened, we were greeted by a panorama of cleavage and Scottish plaid attire (or lack thereof).

From the moment we stepped in the door, I felt dirty. I didn't want to look anyone in the eye. It reminded me of my friend's bachelor party and for at least 5 minutes, I couldn't stop the awkward giggles. I ordered a few $5 beers that I could have got in Athens for $3 and diverted my eyes from the obvious and pretended to be really interested in the ESPN program on the huge TV. The food was pretty awful, but it was the objectification that was really sad.

From there, we decided to go to this other "pub" by the movie theater. Pool, shuffleboard, and smoking are the real highlights of this fine establishment. We did all but the latter. As it got later, we saw the regulars driving into the massive parking lot, lighting their cigarettes as they got out of the car, probably thinking they may actually have a chance with one of the slutty waitresses. I guess it's not any different than the scene in Athens. It just seems sadder because everyone is meeting up at a strip mall bar.

Now I know I sound all high and mighty now, but I really did have a nice time catching up with friends. At some point, I just have to shrug off my pretentiousness and accept...no, more like tolerate the culture. That's all it is...a different culture. I forget about the bubble I've made for myself in Athens. I can avoid whatever I want to avoid at any time. It's really a beautiful thing, but it can also blur your vision of the rest of American culture. The suburbs are not altogether a bad place and it's not impossible to have fun here (however a lot pricier) or do good things for others. I guess I just expect more from these people (my apologies for being judgmental). So many are "educated" and enjoy very comfortable lifestyles. Do they not know how good they have it?

In the end, I shouldn't be shocked. We're not that different. Neither one of us wants to get out of that cushy bubble we've made for ourselves and admit that we're no better than the other.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: